Thursday, October 21, 2021

Holiday Fruitcake Recipe • This isn't your Grandma's cake! | Club Foody

 

An important thing that makes one relationship better than another is the commonality. The more things individuals have in common, the deeper and stronger the connection becomes. David and I are fortunate to share most of our likes and dislikes. There are a few we don’t agree on and one of them is a popular dessert… Holiday Fruitcake!
 
Our 1st Christmas was so exciting! Getting ready for the celebrations, we decorated, shopped, cooked and planned together. One day while we were out grocery shopping, I was surprised by something he didn’t like. As we got to the bakery section, I saw fruitcakes on a stand. As I was reaching for one to put in the shopping cart, I saw David making a funny face. I asked him what that was all about and he said that he never liked them. Although slightly disappointed (I really like this kind of cake), my brain started to figure out a way to help make him enjoy a long time Holiday favorite of mine. Sure enough, the year after, I was giving my first fruit cake a try…
 
This is one of those recipes that cannot be rushed. If you want a deep, rich flavorful cake, time is the key ingredient – I learned that on my “1st attempt”. It’s essential to macerate the fruits and candied peel in rum, bourbon or brandy for 12 hours. If you don’t want to use alcohol, fruit juices such as orange or pineapple are great options – I use both, alcohol and fruit juices.
 
Before transferring the cake in the oven, I like to place a baking dish on the lower rack filled halfway with hot water and to make the transfer easier, I place it on a baking sheet. Why do that extra step? The water will create some moisture therefore preventing the top of the cake from cracking by expanding too quickly. It’s a method I also like to use when I make cheesecake or sponge cake. If the cake is browning too fast, place a sheet of foil on top of it to prevent from burning.
 
Another important step after baking this delicious Holiday Fruitcake in the oven on low temperature for 3 hours is to nurture it for a few months. What I mean by that is after the cake is done, you either pour your chosen alcohol (stick to the same one… I use rum) over the baked cake and/or inject it in the cake. You don’t have to do it at all but I’m telling you, it gives an amazing flavor to this dessert. Make sure to wrap it properly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil after each “booze treatment”.
 
When it comes to decorating, it’s a personal choice. Before it goes into the oven, I like to place glazed cherries around the edge, alternating the colors. Then I place pecan halves in another circle inside the first one and finish off with more cherries in the center. Some of you might want to skip the fruit-nut topping and opt for either a buttercream frosting, bring a British flare to it by covering in marzipan and then royal icing, or simply using fondant… again, it’s your cake and your choice!
 
For this coming Christmas, surprise your loved ones with this incredibly delicious homemade Holiday Fruitcake! If you think this is gonna be just like your grandma’s fruit cake… it’s definitely not!
Bon Appétit!
 
Check out these other delicious sweet Holiday recipes…
– Sucre à la Crème • Butter & Cream Fudge
– Panettone
– Black Forest Cake
– Oliebollen
– Spicy Holiday Chocolate Bark
– Pavlova
– Chocolate Rum Snowballs
and for even more dessert recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • Dessert


For ingredient amounts, directions and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/cf-recipes/holiday-fruitcake/





No comments:

Post a Comment