Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Creton Maison

I’m originally from Montréal and as a young woman I moved to Toronto and spent the biggest part of my life living there. Every time I went back to Québec visiting family and friends, I wanted to satisfy some of my food cravings…let me explain.

The Province of Québec is mostly French speaking and the culture is quite different from the rest of the country which is English. When it comes to food, Québécois cuisine is noticeably distinct from other provinces, although the differences today seem much less apparent than they were in the 80’s.

Back to my cravings…when planning a trip to Montréal, I usually had a list of food that I was looking forward to enjoying again. Life was busy and I couldn’t go back to Montréal for several years and this gave me the idea that I should start making my own Québécois cuisine.
Now that I live on the West Coast, I’m glad I took the initiative of making the favorite dishes that I grew up with and can enjoy whenever I have the craving.

What I am sharing with you today is Creton which is a typical Québécois dish served mostly for breakfast. It’s a meat-spread/pâté people spread on toast, croissants or bagels with yellow mustard. It is obviously not your typical toast and jam fare and definitely a different way to enjoy the first meal of the day. You can also enjoy it for lunch between slices of bread, pita or tortillas with tomatoes, lettuce and of course yellow mustard.

It’s definitely cheaper to make this at home than to fly to Montréal or Québec City and enjoy it at a local restaurant. I hope you give this Québécois breakfast classic a try soon.
Bon Appétit!

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/creton-maison/

No comments:

Post a Comment