Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Saffron Buns Recipe • A Scandinavian Tradition | Club Foody

 

I love bread 🍞 and when December is here, it brings a tasty assortment of them like Stollen, Rosca de Reyes also know as Three Kinds, Panettone, Potica, Challah, Christopsomo, and many others including this one…
 
When I was working as a bartender, there was a waitress who was from Sweden…. blond 👱‍♀️, blue eyes, tall, pretty with a lovely accent. When there were some downtimes at the bar, often was I asking questions about her culture and food.
 
In December, we all decided to bring something sweet representing our culture, our roots. One brought Gingerbread Cookies, there was a Flapper Pie 🥧, another was Panettone, and so on. I decided on a Sugar Pie while the one from Sweden brought these bright golden yellowish looking rolls… Saffron Buns!
 
Formed as an “s” with coils on both ends and a raisin in the center of each, these cute little guys are so delicious 😋! The buns are sweet and fluffy with a nice buttery taste to them. Colorful with a delicate floral note from the saffron, they make the prefect breakfast bread for the Holidays!
 
As the title refers, the buns are made with saffron giving the flavor profile some complexity. This is the most expensive 💰 spice in the world. Sold anywhere from $12 to $20 a gram, this is an ingredient that should be used for special dishes like PaellaSaffron Rice StuffingLamb TagineBouillabaisse, etc.
 
There’s a traditional religious meaning behind them. Also know as Lussekatter, these are made the day before December 13th. The next morning which is St Lucia Day, the oldest daughter delivers tea or coffee ☕ along with these rolls to her parents. This Festival of Light is celebrated in many Scandinavian countries.
 
When I tasted them the first time, there was cardamom in the buns. Things have changed but back then, I wasn’t really using this particular spice so when she gave me the recipe after requesting it a few times, I substituted cardamom for cinnamon and nutmeg. If you decide to go with it, use 1 teaspoon.
 
During winter, my kitchen is cold 🥶 until I start making something. Prior to letting the dough rise, I start my oven at 350ºF for a couple minutes at the most and then shut it off. I place my dough in a bowl, cover and transfer to the oven. It makes a nice and cozy draft-free area for the dough to rise.
 
When it finally doubles in size, I make roughly 14 balls of about 2 inches in diameter from the dough. If I want to be meticulous about it, I should weight the dough, divide it equally in 14 pieces and then roll them out into an oblong shape until it reaches 15 inches long… but I don’t!
 
Colorful from the saffron-infused milk, these tasty sweet Saffron Buns are a great addition to your Holiday 🎄 baking list! Enjoy these delightful saffron-hued sweet rolls this season with a nice cup of coffee or tea…
Bon Appétit! 🍽
 
Here are more festive recipes for you to enjoy… 😀
– Holiday Turkey
– Stuffed Dates with Gorgonzola
– Mistletoe Kiss
– Oysters Rockefeller
– Pork Stew with Meatballs ~ Ragoût de Boulettes & Pattes de Cochon
– Scallops and Roasted Chestnut Soup
– Tourtière
and for even more bread recipes 🍞, click on this link… Recipe Category • Bread & More


For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/cf-recipes/saffron-buns/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube
 

Saffron Buns




No comments:

Post a Comment