Thursday, March 7, 2024

Kashmiri Chai Tea • Pink Tea Recipe | Club Foody

 

As you know, during Covid 😷, we were all secluded. The only interaction David and I had was on FaceTime or Skype with our friends. By being desolated, many were gloomy. I was the opposite! I cooked up a storm (still do) and took the time to clean my file cabinet and office. While cleaning a bunch of papers, I came across an old recipe that I thought I’d lost.
 
Twenty years ago, I met this guy who’s roots were from Pakistan. Being a foody ever since, I asked him to help me discover more about his culture and especially its food. He took me to a few different Pakistani restaurants in the Toronto area.
 
One time, after finishing the main course, my mouth was literally on fire 🔥! That is when Toni suggested I have a Kashmiri Chai Tea also known as Pink Tea! For those of you who don’t know, my favorite color is pink.
 
Of course, I wanted to try it especially after being informed that it will sooth my burning mouth and remove the fire. It was a WOW 🤩! Not as intense as Indian Masala Chai, this gorgeous beverage was so tasty and also delivered on removal of the unpleasant sensation in my mouth. That night, I drank two of those.
 
A week later, I met Toni at one of our favorite French restaurants and he gave me a small piece of paper. His mother wrote down how to make her Kashmiri Chai Tea • Pink Tea! I was incredibly honored 🙏! When I got home that night, I placed it in my “recipe” folder. Life got busy and I forgot about it.
 
All these years later, I thought I lost it and it’s only during the pandemic that I found it. When we were able to cross the border 🚗, that is when I ordered my Kashmiri Chai leaves through Amazon. I made it and rediscovered the beautiful flavor of this hot beverage.
 
The way I make Kashmiri Chai Tea • Pink Tea is totally not the traditional method. Apparently, the leaves along with the baking soda are boiled for 1 hour in a samovar which, originated from Russia, it’s a metal container typically used to make tea 🍵.
 
How does the tea get that pink color? – you may ask. According to my husband who’s a scientist, the polyphenols from the leaves are extracted when boiling in the water. Adding the baking soda which is alkaline brings that burgundy tone therefore when adding milk to it, the mixture turns pink.
 
Being French Canadian and not Pakistani, I’ve shown you my friend’s mother’s recipe. I personally prefer adding just whole milk 🥛 or even 2%. I find half-and-half too rich. Also, I use raw sugar but you can use the sweetener of your choice.
 
This Kashmiri Chai Tea • Pink Tea is the easiest and fastest version of Noon Chai. With a beautiful rich and luxurious taste, this floral, smooth milk beverage is a great recipe to make for you tea lovers out there. It’s not exactly the traditional way to make it but nonetheless, it’s extremely flavorful and gorgeous to look at… 😍
Cheers ☕
Bon Appétit! 🍽
 
Here are more delicious beverage recipes for you to try… 😀
– Indian Masala Chai
– Agua de Jamaica
– Best Homemade Hot Cocoa
– Vietnamese Iced Coffee
– Butterscotch Coffee Creamer
– Lemon Iced Tea
and for even more beverage recipes ☕🍵, click on this link… Recipe Category • Beverages


For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit  https://clubfoody.com/cf-recipes/kashmiri-chai-tea-pink-tea/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube
 

Kashmiri Chai Tea • Pink Tea




No comments:

Post a Comment