Thursday, October 27, 2016

Grandma's Crunchie Bars

 

Grandmas, Nonnas or Omas have always been important figures to families. They’re the ones who bring the family together. They are the peacemakers, the matriarchs, the storytellers and of course the amazing cooks! My grandma could cook almost anything from scratch and it was always delicious!


 Every time we went to visit my grandma in Québec City, I was so excited. I couldn’t wait to see her beautiful, warm smile and jump into her arms. To me, she was “home”, a place where I felt safe and loved.

 

Of course it was a matter of minutes before she was carrying me to the kitchen and asking me if I was hungry or wanted a treat. It didn’t matter if we just finished eating before visiting her, she always placed some food on the table. “No Thank you” wasn’t something she could understand easily. If our stay was for a few hours, she would ask us at least 20 times if we wanted something to eat or wanted to try this or that.

 

Back then, women were making most everything at home. They didn’t have big grocery stores around the corner and also lots of them were living in rural areas so going to the city was only by necessity. People were pretty much self-sufficient especially when it came to food.

 

My grandmother was privileged to receive a very good education in a private school. She learned from the “nuns” what a young girl from society should learn and one was obviously cooking. Not just because she was my grandma, but boy did she ever know how to cook. I wish we had lived closer together so I could have visited her more often and learn even more from her.

 

What I am about to share with you in this video is her “toffee” chocolate bars. I put toffee in quotes because that is what she used to call them. Commercially, these are called Crunchie Bars. After you make these, you won’t believe how close they are to the ones you can buy at the store. Honestly, I’d rather make my own than buy them, because I know what goes into the recipe…I don’t need all the extra preservatives. If you want to be the star of your neighborhood during Halloween, you’ve got to try them…
Bon Appétit!

 

For ingredient amounts and more info, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/grandmas-crunchie-bars/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment