Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Ceviche de Pescado Receta • Fish Ceviche Recipe | Club Foody

Every summer, there’s at least a week that I won’t cook because it’s way too hot for that. Of course I enjoy cooking otherwise I wouldn’t have started my Club Foody website but I just don’t like cooking when the mercury rises beyond the comfort zone.
 
Frankie needs a break from cooking… that’s all!
 
David is awesome for that… He’ll grill and do as much as he can to help me when I’m not feeling “that great”. Still, he needs a break as well. Standing in front of the BBQ when it’s already super-hot outside is not an ideal situation for either of us. Of course there are recipes that require no cooking at all… There are a couple of “chilled soups” that I posted already on the site which are Chilled Avocado SoupChilled Roasted Pepper SoupChilled Leek & Fennel Soup and Spanish Gazpacho . There are always sandwiches that can be an alternative solution and there’s this recipe that is absolutely perfect to enjoy during this time of year. It is Ceviche de Pescado (Fish Ceviche)!
 
What is that?
 
It’s a recipe that consists of raw fish and/or seafood marinated in citrus juice. This method helps to “cook” the fish. Now, I have a few great ways to get the most juice out of your citrus fruits. Click on this link to find out how… Extract the Most Juice from Citrus Fruits
 
How’s that?
 
Without going into too much detail, the acid from the lime juice (some use lemon instead) denatures the proteins in the fish and from there it turns the flesh opaque and firm. Another way to achieve this chemical process is by heat. Without really cooking the fish over the BBQ, in a pan or in the oven, this South American technique delivers the same results… well almost.
 
Heat kills bacteria which on the other hand the citrus acid won’t achieve, so it is very and I mean very important to use fresh fish. Unless you have access to a commercial freezer which will take only a day, what I like to do is to freeze my fresh catch for at least a week and up to 10 days. I also like to “blanche” the fish for 90 seconds. Both ways will help kill any parasites.
 
There are two important factors that I would like to point out to successfully make this Fish Ceviche recipe. First I like to take my fish out from the freezer to my refrigerator and let it thaw for a few hours BUT not completely. When it’s time to cut the flesh into small pieces, having the fish slightly frozen helps make cutting easier; it looks neater with less mess. Secondly, don’t over marinate the fish! Personally I believe 2 ½ to 3 hours is plenty otherwise the flesh starts getting dry. The result you are looking for is to have the fish turning white/opaque.
 
This Fish Ceviche recipe is elegant yet uncomplicated as well as delicious! You can easily serve this to your guests as an appetizer but I prefer it as a main course with tortilla chips as a food vessel. Go ahead and buy some nice fresh halibut, mahi mahi, snapper or even tilapia and enjoy this flavorful Latin American dish!
Bon Appétit!
 
Here are more scrumptious fish and seafood recipes for you to enjoy…
– Sautéed Scallops with Beurre Blanc
– Prawn Saganaki
– Spanish Paella
– Vietnamese Summer Rolls
– Shrimp Maque Choux
– Mediterranean Fish Fillet with Tapenade
and for even more similar recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • Fish & Seafood

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/recipe/ceviche-de-pescado/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment