Thursday, February 15, 2018

Wonton Soup Recipe • A Popular Chinese Dish! | Club Foody

Anywhere above the 49th parallel in the middle of February is cold… Brrr! Snow storms, cold and blustery weather or damp and rainy, there’s nothing about the second month of the year that says “cocktail umbrellas & sunscreen” unless you are far below the 49th. I’m a fair-weather outdoor person which means that during winter, I mostly hibernate unless a nice sunny day tempts me to venture outside…
 
One of the best dishes David and I enjoy during the winter is a hot bowl of soup like Slow Cooker Beef Barley SoupChicken Tortilla SoupCream of Mushroom SoupSplit Pea and Ham SoupBay Scallop Chowder, and others. We either eat it as an appetizer or as a main course depending on the kind of soup as I have many recipes in my repertoire.
 
Tomorrow is Chinese New Year and I thought it would be the perfect time to share my version of Wonton Soup with you! Being one of North America’s favorite Chinese take-out foods, this popular soup is so easy to make. With a few ingredients, you can put this comfort food together in no time!
 
I think the reason why many won’t even try to make this delicious wonton soup is because of the folding which honestly is quite easy. Although I’m not an expert at it, in this video I will show you 2 ways I fold mine – if I can do it, I’m sure you can too!
 
When it comes to the filling, I make a simple version of it using only pork but there are many other ways of making this soup. While doing business in Shanghai and Beijing back in 2001, I had what they call San Xian Wontons which is basically three proteins combined together; shrimp, chicken and pork although the last one can be replaced with minced fish.
 
I also make a simple broth but if you want to add more spice/herbs to it, go ahead. When I have some on hand, I like to add Lemongrass to my broth, it gives a nice flavor. I also like to add vegetables to my soup as well; my preferred choice is bok choy. If you opt for this option, boil some in the broth for 2 to 3 minutes and then transfer them to an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Drain and place 1 or 2 blanched bok choy per serving bowl along with 6 wontons.
 
As I said, making Wonton Soup is not complicated. It’s a dish that warms you up inside out! So next time there’s a blizzard or a rainstorm outside, don’t worry, you can still enjoy one of the most popular take-out soups in North America in the comfort of your own home!
Bon Appétit!
 
Check out these other delicious “hot” soup recipes…
– West Coast Smoked Salmon Chowder
– Udon Noodle Soup
– Carrot Soup with Mashed Potatoes
– Corn Chowder
– Minestrone Soup
– Cream of Celery Soup
and for even more soup and chowder recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • Soups

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/recipe/wonton-soup/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment