Sunday, July 16, 2023

Homemade Old Bay Seasoning Recipe - Tips & Tricks | Club Foody

 

As a foody, you bet I have a wide selection of spices in my drawer. I have so many so the best way to recycle ♻ them before they lose their potency is to make blends. I’ve been sharing many of them like Za’atarGreek SeasoningMontréal Steak SpicePumpkin Pie Spice BlendCreole Seasoning Mix… just to name a few.
 
In this episode, I’m showing you how to make your own Homemade Old Bay Seasoning! I love making it from scratch 👩‍🍳 because whenever I need it, the batch is always freshly made. Also, this is a good “money saver” 💰. Why go to the store and buy it when you probably have all the ingredients at home?
 
The recipe is pretty straight forward and easy to make but let me highlight a few points though. The blend calls for ½ tablespoon of ground bay leaves. Depending on their size, you might need anything from 5 to 8 of them or as needed. I like to use my mixed peppercorns which are black, white, red and green… the combination gives a nice depth to it.
 
Without being “hot”, I like adding a little touch of red pepper flakes. It’s another layer of flavor without being overwhelming. I prefer using celery seed along with sea salt in my Homemade Old Bay Seasoning. You can always skip and go directly to celery salt. In that case, use about 2 ½ teaspoons of it or to your liking.
 
Individually, grind the bay leaves, peppercorns, sea salt, celery seed and red pepper flakes. When this step is done, return all of them together back to the spice grinder and process for a few seconds or until the mixture is powdery just like the “commercial” blend is. From there, transfer them to a small bowl before adding the rest of the ingredients.
 
It yields ¼ cup. It’s not a lot but enough for my Bay Scallops ChowderShrimp SlidersCountry BoilShrimp Salad SandwichBeer Battered FishNew England Crab CakesSalmon Pie, etc. Take 5 minutes ⏳ of your time to repurpose your spices by making this great blend!
Bon Appétit! 🍽


For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/tips-tricks/homemade-old-bay-seasoning/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube




No comments:

Post a Comment