Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Bunny Chow Recipe • Tasty South African Street Food | Club Foody

 

When living in downtown Toronto, I was surrounded with different ethnicities. My next-door neighbour was from South Africa, another one was Persian, behind me the whole family was from Ethiopia next to Jamaicans . There were also Russian, Polish, English, and Indian 👳‍♂️ – I’m probably missing a few more…
 
During the summer, many of them were having a “backyard” party – it wasn’t really a backyard per se but more of a parking lot. Each time it happened, I was either moving my car 🚗 out or driving somewhere so they could have more space for their guests plus I didn’t want to turn the hood or trunk of my car into a sitting area.
 
They all appreciated it and I was rewarded by having some of their food. This is how I came across a few interesting dishes like this one… Bunny Chow! I said what? No, there’s no cute little bunnies 🐰 cooked in this dish nor is it a stripper’s name but simply a popular street food from South Africa.
 
It’s a delicious curry served in hollow bread often accompanied with a salad 🥗 as a side. Originating back in the 1940s’ in Durban where there’s a large community of Indian people, this tasty “bowl” recipe can be substituted by using other proteins and ingredients unless the meat is left out for a vegetarian flare.
 
Mutton and lamb are probably the preferred ingredient but I like using chicken breasts instead. There are aromatic spices, tomatoes 🍅, potatoes, and more. While cooking, the curry might seem on the thin side. Don’t worry because chickpeas are added to it at the end and will release starch helping thicken the mixture.
 
As I mentioned above, the curry is served in hollow bread. Traditionally, unsliced white bread 🍞is used but to make my life easier, I’ve been using Kaiser buns. This dish is treated more like a sandwich therefore it’s eaten without cutlery using the top of the bread to dig in.
 
We love curry and this fast-food dish is exactly the definition of a very flavorful one without being overly spicy! It’s so well liked that each year in September, there’s a competition held in Durban called “Bunny Chow Barometer”. Contestants from several regions battle for the title of the champion bunny maker 🏆🥇!
 
The first time I was offered Bunny Chow, right away, I declined thinking Bugs Bunny was in the dish. After being told which ingredients went in – it was lamb – then I gave it a try. It was amazing 😍! This is a great comfort food that can be enjoyed for lunch, dinner or simply as a snack throughout the day…
Bon Appétit! 🍽
 
Here are more delicious comfort food recipes for you to try… 😀
– Chili Cheese Fries
– Pierogi Casserole
– Chicken Vesuvio
– Michigan Hot Dogs
– Veal Marsala
– Coffee Beef Stew
– Sweet Pork Ribs
and for even more comfort food recipes 🥰, click on this link… Recipe Category • Comfort Food


For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit  https://clubfoody.com/cf-recipes/bunny-chow/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube
 

Bunny Chow




No comments:

Post a Comment