I always enjoy eating fish. It was on my menu 📜 regularly before I met David. He, on the other hand, was more of a “meat and potato” type of guy. His only ‘fish’ signature dish was Pacific Coast Salmon. When we moved in together, things were about to change, as I slowly integrated more fish into his diet…
I made him my Beer Battered Fish, then Salmon Pie 🥧, Red Snapper en Papillote, Sole Almondine, Cod au Gratin, Curry Fish Stew, Tuna Casserole, Panko Breaded Fish Fillet, and many others. Eventually, it was this featured recipe: White Fish with Tomato Lentils!
This recipe is very flavorful as well as healthy. With a crispy, golden-brown crusted fish fillet placed over a soft, creamy lentil mixture, this is a light meal to enjoy anytime! The acidity from the tomatoes 🍅 balances perfectly with this dish. It’s a great recipe I’m sure everyone will love!
White Fish with Tomato Lentils is not a quick recipe, but still goes fairly fast…
The veggies are sautéed first, and then the rest of the ingredients go in. After being brought to a boil, the mixture is covered, reduced to medium-low, and simmered gently for half an hour ⏰ or until the lentils are tender.
The lentils are fully cooked when they’re tender and the shape remains mostly intact, firm enough without being mushy or crunchy. I use Laird green lentils, which are the larger ones and take longer to cook. Eston and Richlea lentils cook faster. When fresh, lentils de Puy can take only 25 to 30 minutes ⏳.
In the video 🎥, I start with the fish, but when I don’t have the camera between me and my prep station, I look after the fish while the lentil mixture simmers for 30 minutes. After patting them dry, seasoning, and dredging, they’re ready to be pan-fried.
Here’s a quick note…
When dredging the fish fillets, I like to use a fine sieve, spoon in a small amount of flour, and dredge the fillets by tapping on the side with a spoon 🥄. That way I don’t contaminate unused flour. It’s all about being thrifty, especially these days.
A few key reasons for dredging the fish in flour are that it dries the moist 💦 surface of the fillets, even after being patted dry, preventing them from getting soggy. It also helps prevent them from sticking to the hot skillet, and additionally, it creates a gorgeous light, golden-brown crust.
Red snapper is what I use in the video. Without checking our freezer prior to going shopping 🛒, David and I bought red snapper again. Although I wrap fillets individually in wax paper and place them in a resealable plastic freezer bag, they can last six months at most.
When we don’t end up with too many red snapper, other firm, white fish 🐟 can be used. There are halibut, monkfish, grouper, lingcod, rockfish, swordfish, sea bass, pollock, cod, catfish, tilapia, branzino, and mahi-mahi. Amberjack can also be another option.
Pan-frying fish is super easy. I like cooking my fish in oil and butter 🧈 (everything tastes better with butter!). When hot, the fillets are placed and cooked, undisturbed, for 4 minutes before flipping them. Depending on the thickness, it can take 2 to 3 minutes or until the flesh is opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
This nice and vibrant White Fish with Tomato Lentils recipe is a flavorful meal to serve. Light and healthy 💚, this dish is another great budget-friendly option. Sprinkled with fresh chopped cilantro and served with a lime wedge, I’m sure this will become a regular item on your menu…
Bon Appétit! 🍽
Check out these other delightful fish recipes… 😀
– Tarragon Limoncello Halibut
– Lobster Newberg
– Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl
– Escargots à la Bourguignonne
– Caribbean-Style Fish Stew
– Blood Orange Miso Scallops
– Creamy Creole Red Snapper
– Garlic & White Wine Steamed Clams
– Bourride Provençale with Aïoli
– Shrimp & Vegetable Tempura
and for even more fish and seafood recipes 🐡🦞, click on this link… Recipe Category • Fish & Seafood
For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit ➡
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube


No comments:
Post a Comment