Thursday, August 9, 2018

Homemade Vol-au-Vent Recipe - Airy, Light and Fluffy Puff Pastry! | Club Foody

I’ve always enjoyed pastries ever since I was a little girl. What’s not to like?
 
When it came to desserts, Chocolate ÉclairsMille-Feuille and Profiteroles were my favorites! Things haven’t changed much as they are still my top choices. The only difference is I make sure to only make them when I have company coming over otherwise I could eat them all on my own… I know, it’s terrible, lol!
 
There is another pastry that has also been my favorite but this one can be used in both savory and sweet recipes. It is Vol-au-vent! If you are not familiar with it, let me describe it for you…
 
Vol-au-vent is a small hollow shell made with puff pastry. It is made up of two circles and one of them has another smaller circle in the center that is stacked on top of the other one. By cutting a smaller circle in it, it allows you to remove it after it’s done baking, stuff the hollow pastry with cooked ingredients & sauce, and then place that little circle back on top.
 
When using it in a savory recipe, this pastry is usually served as an appetizer and is filled with chicken such as in “Chicken à la King” or Cheesy Chicken Vol-au-vent, with fish and/or seafood. I’ve served it many times as a main course with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. It’s delicious and filling!
 
Interestingly enough though, it’s mostly served as a savory dish and I really don’t understand why it’s not used very often for sweet dishes. I have an incredible dessert recipe where I use vol-au-vent as my food vessels for my fruit custard which will be posted next year so stay tuned!
 
Although the shape is usually round, nothing is stopping you from making them octagonal, square or rectangular… have fun with your French pastry! Now if you want to use the same sizes as mine in the video, here are my cookie cutter dimensions; the green cookie cutter is 3 1/16-inch or 78mm and the little white one is 1 7/8-inch or 48mm. You can find these kitchen tools by clicking on this link… Shop Section
 
Until a few years ago, I’d never made vol-au-vent before as I was buying them from my supermarket until they stopped carrying them. I was forced to find a way to recreate this pastry and this was the easiest way I could come up with. They don’t look perfect – honestly I’m fine with that – but they sure taste amazing…
 
Next time you need an airy, fluffy and buttery food vessel for your recipe, try this easy vol-au-vent. You’ll see just how fun and delicious they are… This coming December, I’ll be posting my Turkey à la King on Toast but you can easily use vol-au-vent instead of toast… Also in 2019, I’ll be sharing my Escargot con Funghi in Vol-au-vent as well as my Cheesy Chicken Vol-au-vent… stay tuned!
Bon Appétit!
 
Check out these other homemade recipes…
– How to Make Homemade Sausage
– Onion Soup Mix – Make your Own
– How to Do Home Canning
– Homemade Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
– Powdered Sugar – Make it, Don’t Buy it
– Homemade Tahini
and for even more great tips & tricks, click on this link… Recipe Category – Tips & Tricks

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/homemade-vol-au-vent/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment