I had never heard of Panettone before until I started dating my Italian boyfriend when I was in my 20s’. As we had been seeing each other for a while, we spent the Christmas Holidays with both of our families and that is when I was introduced to this amazing bread…
 
Carlos grew up in Saint-Léonard, a borough of Montréal with a high concentration of Italian-Canadians. Besides his Italian friends from the neighborhood, he also had his Québécois buddies so he wasn’t a stranger to our traditional Holiday dishes. I, on the other hand, was never officially introduced to Italian cuisine besides going out to their “ristoranti”. As you may know, what’s on the menu doesn’t really reflect the true Holiday dishes that you will find on Italians’ tables…
 
A couple of weeks before Christmas, his mother gave us a tall, round bread which looked a lot like a gigantic muffin. She told me it was one of her favorite breads that she liked to make in early December. To her, making her Panettone along with Biscotti set the tone for the upcoming celebration! I couldn’t agree more with her after I cut a big piece for breakfast… I was “hooked” by the taste of it as well as her Italian Holiday ritual!
 
Although Carlos and I went our separate ways over 30 years ago, I still like to carry on this tradition. Each year, I bake this bread on either the 1st or 2nd week of December so it can be enjoyed during the month with a cup of coffee, tea, espresso or a caffè latte. What I like about my recipe contrary to others out there is that mine can be prepped, baked and eaten on the same day without compromising on the tasty results!
 
This recipe can be made with or without a bread machine. For Club Foody, I’m showing you how to make this lovely bread without the machine so everyone can make it. Last year, I also showed you how to make your own Candied Fruits. It is an easy recipe and if you do a lot of holiday baking that includes Christmas Stollen, Fruit Cake or this Panettone, it’s definitely a great recipe to add to your folder.
 
The foods that I make during the Holidays are influenced by a combination of people and events I’ve met and experienced in my life. That is what made me who I am today. Like many dishes, this Panettone reflects a period in my life which has become a Holiday ritual that returns every December…
Bon Appétit!
 
Check out these other Holiday recipes…
– Biscotti
– Squash à la Canadienne
– Spicy Gingerbread Cookies
– Old Fashioned Stuffing with Giblets
– Christmas Stollen
– Citrus Cranberry Sauce
– Cognac Chicken Liver Pâté
and for even more bread recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • Bread
 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/recipe/panettone/

Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube