Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Homemade Limoncello Liqueur - Great Italian Liqueur | Club Foody


There was a time in my life that I worked as a waitress in a bar which led me to become a bartender. Many times I picked up a few different bottles of alcohol or liqueur and tried to create drinks on my own. I don’t think the word “mixologist” was used back then but it is what I was doing…
 
We all have our favorite foods, desserts, cocktails and wine. The big advantage I had of working in a bar was to try different kinds of alcohol and mixed drinks. As some of you may already know, I love lemon flavor so when I came across this particular Italian liqueur, I was quite pleased. Also back then I was dating my Italian boyfriend and through his family and friends, I tried a few interesting homemade liqueurs such as Grappa, Nocino, Amaro (do not confuse with Amaretto… not the same) as well as Limoncello. One day, years later after Carlos and I broke up, I thought it shouldn’t be that hard to duplicate some of them so here’s my version of Homemade Limoncello Liqueur!
 
This awesome lemony liqueur is very versatile. Not only is this homemade Limoncello liqueur great for cocktails but it can also be used as an ingredient for savory or sweet recipes such as my Tarragon Limoncello Halibut or my Limoncello Crème Brûlée. A couple of years ago, I also shared one of my “mixology” creations with you which was my Cosmocello. I will be posting more recipes that use this lovely liqueur so stay tuned!
 
I use Meyer Lemons because this hybrid fruit is a cross between lemon and mandarin/pomelo giving them the lowest acidity I can find in my supermarket. Can you use another kind of lemon? Of course as long as you find some with low acid levels so the liqueur doesn’t taste bitter. Traditionally, the lemons used for this lovely liqueur is Sfusato d’Amalfi because of their low acidity level.
 
I make my Limoncello with pure alcohol but if you can’t get any or depending on your Government laws, you can always substitute vodka.
 
Some quick trivia…
Did you know that Limoncello is the second most popular liqueur in Italy? The star is Campari. I thought I would just throw that out for fun.
 
The cost of making this liqueur is pretty low considering that you will have almost 3 liters after the recipe is made. This Homemade Limoncello Liqueur is so flavorful… it’s definitely a beautiful way to enjoy this amazing classic Italian liqueur. Like I always say when I post any “alcoholic beverage”, please drink responsibly and don’t drink & drive… it’s not cool!
Salute!
 
NOTE: To sterilize the bottles, place them with the lids open so the water can get inside in a large pot of boiling water and let them sit for 10 minutes before carefully removing and inverting them to drain any excess water.
 
Check out these other cocktail recipes…
– Blood Orange Martini
– Blackberry Mojito
– Mixed Berry Margarita
– Golden Sunset
– Spanish Sangria
– Chocolate Grasshopper Martini
and for even more alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverage recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • Beverages

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit 

Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment