Saturday, March 9, 2019

Red Beans and Rice Recipe - Slow Cooker Recipe | Club Foody




If you have been following me for a while now, you know that New Orleans is on my bucket list for several reasons. Besides its music, people, history, etc., being a food blogger, it’s obvious that its cuisine is what attracts me the most.
 
Cajun and Creole are the predominant cuisines you’ll find on The Big Easy streets. With a beautiful blend of cultures, these two culinary styles have an interesting array of flavorful dishes. Oysters Rockefeller, Beignets, Maque Choux and Jambalaya, Gumbo to name just a few, are popular food staples.
 
Another dish that is a true tradition in Louisiana is Red Beans and Rice. Initially, this dish was served on Monday using the leftovers from the night before. With added ham and pork bones, it was slowly simmering while the women were washing clothes. Nowadays, it is served with a side of sausage or pork chops.
 
When I was living in Port Credit, Ontario, a small borough in Mississauga just outside of Toronto, there was a restaurant that was serving Creole and Cajun food. After discovering this quaint little gem, I quickly became a regular. That is where I tasted my first Red Beans and Rice. Oh my! It was so delicious!
 
I started making it shortly after I moved in with David 10 years ago because I didn’t know any Creole or Cajun places in Vancouver. How does mine differ from the ones made in Louisiana? I’m sure there are some flavor nuances separating the two versions but I still think they are pretty close. Nonetheless, this is a lovely take on one of Creole’s traditional recipes. Traditionally this dish is cooked on the stove but using a slow cooker is the method I prefer.
 
There are other things that I also do differently for this red beans and rice recipe. First, I don’t use a ham shank in mine. Instead, I use smoked ham which makes it quite delicious as well as Andouille Sausages. When it comes to soaking beans overnight, I don’t do that for this recipe. Using a short cut, I boil them in water for 5 minutes and then let them rest for 1 hour. Not only is it quicker but it also reduces flatulence plus it helps us to digest them as well. I’m not implying don’t soak them… it’s just another alternative method in case you forgot to do this step the night before which is my case most of the time.
 
This Red Beans and Rice slow cooker recipe is a great dish to serve anytime but especially today because it’s Mardi Gras! Although I still hope to visit New Orleans someday, in the meantime, I can just close my eyes while I’m savoring this delicious dish with some soft jazz playing in the background…
Bon Appétit!
 
Cooking rice…
About 30 minutes before the beans are ready, in a medium pot bring the water to a boil. Stir in rice and butter, cover and reduce heat to low; cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Let it stand for 5 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
 
For a nice visual appearance, scoop the cooked rice in a ramekin and place a bowl on top. Flip it over making sure the ramekin is tightly in contact with the bowl. Tap it and voilà…
 
Check out these other great slow cooker recipes…
– El Pollo Cinco de Mayo ~ Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
– Slow Cooker Beef Stew
– Ultimate Slow Cooker Chili
– Slow Cooker BBQ Sloppy Joes
– Texas BBQ Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
– Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
and for more International recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • International

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/recipe/red-beans-and-rice-slow-cooker/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment