Saturday, September 21, 2019

Fennel Bulbs • How to Cut - Tips & Tricks | Club Foody

Each season brings a new batch of fresh produce with it. As a foody, I like taking advantage of what the season has to offer. Although most of the produce has their own growing & harvest season, with our technology these days, many of them can be found all year round. I’m old fashioned and, unless I really need a veggie or fruit for a specific recipe (Club Foody makes me do stuff like that), I enjoy buying them at their peak.
 
As I mentioned, I use a lot of different produce for my recipes but I wasn’t always like that. When I was younger, I used ingredients and produce I was familiar with… produce that I grew up with. Gaining confidence in the kitchen, I started venturing out of my comfort zone and frankly, I loved it – and still do! When I go to specialty food markets, I go shelf by shelf to look at the ingredients and produce, discovering new possibilities for delicious recipes that I can create with them – that’s the artsy culinary side of me!
 
Years ago, I came across a vegetable from the umbelliferous family (including celery, carrot, parsnips, dill, parsley and cilantro) that my parents never cooked with… Fennel Bulb! Unfamiliar with it, I had to figure out how to prep it and then cook with it. As soon as I experimented with it, I knew which recipes I could use this distinctive aromatic vegetable such as my Bouillabaisse à la Marseillaise or in the making of my North African Merguez. Because of its flavor, my imagination started going wild and I could almost taste the new creations like my Chilled Leek & Fennel Soup.
 
When I shared this new addition with my mother, she was perplexed on how to prepare it. I quickly showed her how to do it and then this veggie also became a new one for her. She now uses Fennel Bulbs quite regularly in many of her recipes. It’s also good to keep the parts that are not used to make a homemade vegetable broth… yummy!
 
Fennel Bulb is definitely a good one to add because the taste of it is sublime! This weird looking vegetable (it’s a cross between the base of a bunch of celery and an onion and the fronds resemble dill) has a lovely anise-licorice flavor with a hint of sweetness to it. From the stalk to the seeds as well as the leaves and the bulb, this veggie really enhances a dish… definitely give it a try!
Bon Appétit!
 
Here are more great kitchen tips and tricks for you to try…
– Measuring Honey, Syrup or Molasses without Sticking
– How to Roast and Peel Peppers
– Tomato Paste Leftover Solution
– Prepping Lemongrass ~ How to
– How to Prepare an Avocado
– Secret for Better Grating Soft Cheeses/Butter
and for more handy kitchen tips and tricks, click on this link… Recipe Category • Tips & Tricks
 
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube
 
For more info, visit https://clubfoody.com/tips-tricks/fennel-bulb-how-to-cut/


No comments:

Post a Comment