Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Black Forest Cake Recipe • Classic 3 Layer German Cake | Club Foody

 

When my brother and I were young, my mother always made sure to bake our birthday cakes. It could’ve been a Devil’s Food Cake, Upside-Down Cake, Carrot Cake, Yogurt Cake, Angel Food Cake, Chiffon Cake and so on. When we got older, she owned two hair salons so she didn’t have time to bake us one therefore the next best thing was to buy them from the bakery…
 
For years, every time I was going back home for my birthday, she bought me a Black Forest Cake. Actually, I’ve never been really fond of it and one day I told her to forget the cake. After asking me why, I told her that I wasn’t a fan of that German confection. After that, she got different ones like Saint Honoré, Red Velvet, Paris-Brest, Boston Cream Pie, Baba au Rhum, and Opéra.
 
When I met David whose background is German, I told him to not buy a Black Forest Cake for birthdays or any other special occasion. He was fine with that. A few years ago though, I thought I should give it another try. That time I wanted to make it myself. After talking with my local baker who willingly shared most ingredients with me, I rolled up my sleeves and baked one. Wow!
 
I’m not sure what I didn’t like about it when I was younger but my homemade version was absolutely decadent! Perhaps my mother’s bakery was adding too much whipped cream which was already overly sweet, maybe the cake was too heavy, not enough filling, or my taste buds simply evolved. Whatever the reasons were, now I love it!
 
A few ingredients that I added/changed from my local baker; I use Cherry Brandy which tastes incredibly good! Some might use Kirsch but David doesn’t like it. I add Powdered Sugar in my whipped cream without overdoing it and a small amount of granulated sugar in my cherry filling. I also sift my flour and cocoa powder plus I make sure to not overmix my batter so my Black Forest Cake is lighter. Could these little changes impact the results?
 
For my cherry filling, I don’t use fresh fruits unless I can find Bing cherries! The other ones are okay but don’t even come close to the deliciousness of the Bings’. The problem with these particular cherries is they are seasonal. From July to August, we can enjoy them and that’s it until next year unless we buy them in cans. I use M’Lord brand and they’re perfect for this recipe! A point I’d like to mention is when I drain the liquid from the can, I usually get ¾ cup and it’s exactly the amount I need. If I get a little less, I just top it up with water.
 
When I assemble the cake, just like I do with my Chocolate Raspberry Cake with a Mirror Glaze, I invert a heavy glass bowl then place the removable bottom from a cake pan on top but a springform pan bottom works as well. I find it makes it easier for applying the whipped cream and chocolate. By the way, I don’t show you how to make the perfect whipped cream so click here to find out more… Perfect Whipped Cream Every Time – How to
 
When it’s time to apply the shaved chocolate, I place a pizza pan under the upside-down glass bowl to catch any excess chocolate so it can be reused. I also wear latex gloves. The reason behind this is our body temperature is hot so wearing them will prevent the chocolate from melting in our hands as the latex is cooler… makes sense, right?
 
When you watch the video, I’m not piping the whipped cream to make the 8 rosettes for the top of the cake; my husband is because he’s so good at it! I know I need to practice to get better but David does such a good job (wink). The piping tip he is using is 1M but any other large star piping tip will do.
 
Dark and delicious, this Black Forest cake is definitely the ideal dessert for birthdays, anniversaries or any other special occasion including Holidays! It’s a spectacular cake to serve and it’s even more impressive when you can make it yourself!
Bon Appétit!
 
Check out these other mouth-watering cake recipes…
– Chocolate Raspberry Cake with a Mirror Glaze
– Fruit Cake coming on October 19th, 2021
– Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake
– Coffee Cake
– Cream Cheese Carrot Cake
– Chocolate Lava Cake with Caramel
– Blueberry Cake coming on July 20th, 2021
and for even more chocolate recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • Chocoholic

For ingredient amounts, directions and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/cf-recipe/black-forest-cake/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube




No comments:

Post a Comment