Thursday, April 22, 2021

Southwest Gravy Recipe • A Southern Classic! | Club Foody


 Years ago, David and I drove through 11 states and visited many historical and national sites; Yellowstone, Grand Canyon (North Rim), Antelope Canyon, Deadwood, Garden of the Gods, Colorado River, Arches National Park, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, Horseshoe Bend, etc. There’s one thing though that we always made sure to have before starting our day and it was breakfast!

 
Driving long hours, expecting the unexpected and sometimes going through the middle of nowhere, that first meal was definitely a must! Most of the hotels we booked, offered a complimentary breakfast and this is where I tried this popular southern dish for the first time. When we got back home, I gave it a few tries until I got the recipe just the way we like it. Here’s my Southwest Gravy!
 
Most gravy recipes are pretty straight forward and so is this one. It’s easy to make and packed with so much flavor! It’s also a little spicy because I use my homemade Hot Italian Sausage. On the other hand, if you want a milder version, simply reduce (or eliminate) the amount of red pepper flakes in my sausage recipe. Of course, you can always buy them at the store for a shortcut…
 
The way I make my Southwest Gravy is also a shortcut. After my sausage is cooked, I add flour, a tablespoon at a time, into the meat mixture and stir until incorporated. From there, I cook it for a few more minutes, just enough to remove the “floury” taste. Many will remove the meat mixture and make a roux from there with the remaining fat in the skillet – it’s the morning, I can’t be bothered with that and frankly, it comes out perfect every time.
 
After the flour is cooked, I pour in half the amount of whole milk – 1 or 2% doesn’t really work well for this recipe – and I whisk it into the mixture until the gravy starts to thicken, about 45 seconds before adding the remaining milk. I let it simmer for 10 minutes et voilà… it’s ready!
 
As you know, you need to serve this Southwest Gravy with Biscuits; it’s a match made in heaven! Same thing here, you can buy them at the store or make my Cheddar Biscuits. As a cheese lover, these biscuits are perfect with this gravy recipe plus it’s another easy recipe to make from scratch.
 
On our next “crazy” road trip we want to make it to the East coast of the United States including the southern part of it. Eventually I’ll have the “true southern gravy” with biscuits. In the interim, David and I really enjoy this Southwest Gravy version and after you try it, I’m sure you’ll definitely agree with us…
Bon Appétit!
 
Check out these other mouthwatering breakfast recipes…
– Creamy French Eggs
– Apple Cheese Soufflés
– White Omelet
– Eggs Benedict
– Pancetta Vegetable Frittata
– French Toast
– Breakfast Casserole coming on December 9th, 2021
and for even more breakfast recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category • Breakfast & Brunch

For ingredient amounts, directions and much more, visit https://clubfoody.com/cf-recipes/southwest-gravy/


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube
 




No comments:

Post a Comment