Thursday, June 30, 2016

Key Lime Pie - the eggless version

If you live above the 49th parallel, at some point during the winter time, you feel the need to escape to a warmer destination. When I was living in Toronto, the nearest destination was Florida. As I became a snow bird, I really started appreciating American southern cuisine.


I’ve never been a big “dessert” person but once in a while, I enjoy something sweet. Going to Florida at least once a year, a dessert I really enjoyed was Key Lime Pie. I love the tartness mixed with a subtle sweetness of their regional pie but not enough to have regrets…probably because my teeth don’t start curling in my mouth from too much sweetness.

 

When I moved to the West Coast, Florida is a long way away and of course the closest destination, besides Palm Springs (I’m a golfer….I NEED Palm Springs) is Hawai’i. As often as I’ve been to the islands of Hawai’i, I never found a “real” Key Lime Pie to compare to the one’s I experienced in Florida.

 

I am a “sunshine lover” and enjoy the warmth and comfort of sunny days. B.C. can be slightly cool and rainy so to bring a taste of sunshine to my table, I love to make Key Lime Pie. There’s no need to buy a pre-made graham crust…c’mon a 5 year old could make it, so can you! The technique is pretty simple and the only thing you should worry about is to have a good citrus press or a juicer. Anything else is kiddy play. So I hope you enjoy this pie as much as I do and hope it brings some happy summer memories to your table…
Bon Appétit!


For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/key-lime-pie/

No comments:

Post a Comment