Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Jicama Mango Pepper Salad

I enjoy side dishes with my entrées but I like to pick one that really marries well with my main course and doesn’t overpower it. With the abundance of Worldwide produce available, coming up with an original side dish is quite easy these days.

We were introduced to jicama a few years ago when we had ordered an appetizer with Jicama in it.
We were pleasantly surprised by this crunchy, white root vegetable. It has a subtle, delicate, sweet taste similar to an apple but less noticeable. This tuberous root is an absolute must try!

Very similar to a turnip in texture – jicama is also called Mexican turnip, Mexican potato or Mexican yam bean. As far as how best to prepare it, I don’t know which way is better; cutting it first or peeling it first but keep in mind that the skin is thick and papery. I highly suggest you use a knife instead of a vegetable peeler. Jicama is an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium and fiber as well as being low in calories and having a low glycemic index, so it’s good for diabetics.

Jicama is usually enjoyed raw but apparently it can also be used in cooked dishes. In this video, I am sharing my Jicama Mango Pepper Salad which I love serving as a side dish with a nice grilled or baked fish fillet. This bright salad is so summery, it just brings all the flavors together so well. I’m sure this side dish could also be served with other proteins, you have to try it…
Bon Appétit!


For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/jicama-mango-pepper-salad/

No comments:

Post a Comment