Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Chinese 5 Spice Spare Ribs Recipe | Club Foody

Three decades ago, after my first trip to Mexico, I developed a passion for spices. When I was grocery shopping, if I saw a spice I wasn’t familiar with, I simply bought it. After arriving home, I opened the jar, closed my eyes and smelled the aroma. Many times while doing just that, I was creating recipes in my head just like this one… Chinese 5 Spice Spare Ribs!
 

Things haven’t changed much since then except I have over 100 different spices in the cupboard now and add more each time I come across a new one. I also make my own spices but I won’t go there today, definitely another time… Chinese 5 Spice is quite an interesting combination of spices in one jar. There’s also a little bit of history behind it.
 

Chinese 5 Spice history…

In ancient Chinese, this spice was originally used for its medicinal properties. Some say that by creating this “wonder powder” drug it would help to rebalance the “5 elements” (energy) in the body, bringing a perfect harmony of yin and yang therefore preventing illness. Only later on, would this spice be used for Chinese cooking.

We all know the 5 senses (sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch) as well as the 5 elements (earth, water, air, fire and æther aka quintessence or void) or if you prefer the Chinese version which is earth, water, fire, wood and metal. What about the 5 tastes? Here they are… sweet, sour, salty, bitter and the last one that is interchangeably known as pungent, hot or spicy.

Based on the information above, this is roughly what Chinese 5 Spice is based on. Although pretty similar, it may vary from one region to another. The most commonly used ingredients are cinnamon, Szechuan peppercorns, fennel, star anise and cloves. Other blends can be made with ginger, nutmeg or even celery seeds depending on preferences.

Can you make your own? Absolutely! What you need is a spice grinder and a small skillet. I encourage you to do so because when using this particular spice, a little goes a long way.

I love the Americanized version of Chinese Sweet & Sour Spare Ribs which I will eventually post but when I created this Chinese 5 Spice Spare Rib recipe, I wanted something totally different with deeper flavors. After the first attempt, it was exactly what I was looking for and I’ve never modified it since.

This recipe has the 5 flavors in it! It is a deliciously different way to enjoy spare ribs. I believe marinating the meat overnight gives it a chance to develop serious flavor in this dish. Also the slow cooking process and basting often brings more tenderness to the meat. I love this dish and each time I serve it to my friends and family, they just want more… This is a “harmonious balance of taste in your mouth”!
Bon Appétit!

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/chinese-5-spice-spare-ribs/


No comments:

Post a Comment