Thursday, May 31, 2018

Orange Julius Copycat Recipe - How to Make a Creamy Orange Julius | Club Foody

Orange Julius or Orange Julep?


It’s interesting sometimes how we can forget something and suddenly just remember it. Other times, there’s one specific thing that helps us make a connection and a name, a place, or an event just pops in our mind. I hope it’s not an age issue… really!

When filming this video, I was talking to David and all of a sudden I mistakenly called this featured recipe “Orange Julep”. David obviously corrected me but for some strange reason, I felt that I was still right. No I’m not Mrs. Always Right although it does happen often… lol!

It’s only when I started writing this blog that I realized that I WAS RIGHT, well somewhat. I had this flash of a huge building shaped like an orange. All right, let me explain…

For those of you who don’t know me, I grew up in the Montréal area. As a child, my parents took me out quite often to restaurants, diners and food stands. One of them really impressed me and often I asked them to take me there. It was Orange Julep Restaurant.

The Gibeau Orange Julep was a snack bar located on Decarie Expressway although not the original one. Standing out like a sore thumb, this giant three-story orange shaped building was a popular hangout for Montrealers (Montréalais in French). Still around these days, this is definitely another Montréal landmark.

After my family moved to Brossard, I don’t recall going back to the big orange building. I was 6 years old.

Years later, I was introduced by a friend of mine to Orange Julius. Somehow in my mind, the Orange Julep’s name blended into Orange Julius’ to eventually simply become Orange Julius and forget about the other one.

I’ve always enjoyed Orange Julius and it’s unfortunate that I can’t recall the one from Montréal… I was too young. One thing though is this was one of the rare “fast food items” I couldn’t resist having. The creamy texture was absolutely delicious. Although incredibly tasty, I just had to make my own…
 

Homemade Version it is…

Many times I created recipes by salvaging the food in my refrigerator. I cannot stand wasting food therefore the solution is to do something with it. This is how I came up with my own version of Orange Julius Copycat the first time. Since then, I’ve modified it for better, tastier and smoother consistency.

I use fresh ingredients including egg yolks. I won’t elaborate on that topic but as you know raw eggs can carry salmonella bacteria so it is extremely important that your eggs are really fresh. The best places to buy fresh ones are from farmers. If you are not sure, don’t take the risk. Pretty soon I will be making a video on the Pasteurization Process. Meantime, please be vigilant!

With summer right around the corner, this is a scrumptious treat to enjoy either for breakfast, a mid-afternoon snack or even as a dessert… why not? It is a quick and easy beverage recipe that you’ll be quite pleased to have in your recipe folder.
Bon Appétit!

I have several yummy beverage recipes and here are a few…
Kiwi-Banana-Pineapple-Orange Smoothie
Palm Springs Date Shake
Berry Fusion Smoothie
Red Velvet Boost
Tahini Mango Peanut Butter Smoothie
Cantaloupe Smoothie
and for even more beverage recipes including “cocktails”, click on this link… Recipe Category – Beverages

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/orange-julius-copycat/


No comments:

Post a Comment