Tuesday, 14 November 2017

Enchilada Sauce

When I started cooking as a young lady, I didn’t have any basic sauces in my repertoire but I did have many packet sauces that you just have to add water to. Please don’t crucify me… I just didn’t know how to make any. Although my mother shared a few recipes with me, for some strange reason I couldn’t ever make a good homemade sauce. The first sauce recipe she gave me was a Béchamel, then a Hollandaise sauce followed with a homemade mayonnaise. Eventually I mastered these three recipes… with time…

Back in 1988 when I went to Puerto Vallarta with my boyfriend Carlo (he proposed to me down there…), I tried dishes I never ever had before. There was one I couldn’t get enough of and it was the Enchilada with its lovely sauce. Yummy corn tortillas stuffed with meat and topped with a spicy tomato sauce. It was only later on in my life when I went back to Mexico City that I finally got a real taste of the sauce and its ingredients.

In an earlier blog ( Homemade Lemonade) I mentioned about doing business in Mexico and therefore staying there for an extended time. Although it wasn’t a YWCA, I stayed in a lady’s hostel for weeks and the “madre” of that establishment was in charge of looking after us. She is the one who taught me this video recipe… enchilada sauce! When I came back home, I made that sauce quite often because it was so easy and yet so tasty!

It is a very quick sauce recipe to make and the results are incredibly delicious! Although most will use it in the classic enchilada, this sauce can also be added to casseroles, mac & cheese, lasagna, soups, burritos and so on. This is the kind of sauce you can try as a beginner and you won’t feel overwhelmed by the technique. After you give this sauce a try, you will definitely not go back to any store-bought ones… it is exceptionally flavorful!
Bon Appétit!

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/enchilada-sauce/


No comments:

Post a Comment