Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Veal Piccata

I remember my first date with someone I didn’t know from school or through friends. He was a handsome guy I met at a night club that bought me a couple of drinks, danced and laughed with. At the end of the night, he wanted to take me out for dinner and asked me out on a date. I accepted and we exchanged phone numbers. A few days later, I met him in a very upscale Italian restaurant in downtown Montréal. This 30 something year old man looked pretty sharp in his suit and let’s face it, I was nervous!

It was the first time I was on a “fancy date” with a “man”. He was so well-mannered and even asked me to choose the wine which I politely declined, so he did – c’mon I was only 19… I was drinking Black Tower back then… yuck! After the sommelier poured us a lovely Barolo, we said cheers, clinked our glasses, tasted this awesome wine and I knew that this man could show me some new culinary sensations therefore I asked him to surprise me with the menu. That was the night that I ate my first Veal Piccata… oh my! With a side of pasta with tomato sauce, the meal was so scrumptious! For years to come, this is what I was ordering each time I saw it on a menu…

A few years ago after I moved in with David, we went out for dinner and there it was on the menu… my Veal Piccata! Without any hesitations, I ordered it but it was such a disappointment! It was anything but Veal Piccata – the sauce barely had enough lemon in it, the veal wasn’t pounded enough and didn’t have that specific taste you get from veal… it tasted more like beef to me. Most things happen for a good reason and that sad culinary experience led me to give it a try at home.

Right from my first attempt, mine was far superior to the one from the restaurant and let’s be honest… much cheaper! From there, I’ve kept making this dish at home, getting it the exact way I want it. It is quite simple to make and the results are just amazing! This is a meal you can serve for any special occasion… it’s that gooood!
Bon Appétit!

P.S. If you’re curious about what happened to him and I, here it is… nothing! We had a great time, went out on a couple more dates together and both realized that we didn’t have the same views on life at that time. He wanted to get married and have kids while I just started my adult life. If I was a few years older, perhaps things could have been different. Oh well, c’est la vie!

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/veal-piccata/



 

No comments:

Post a Comment