Thursday, November 16, 2017

Pumpkin Pie

Although my parents were amazing home cooks, there were certain food items that they never used in their cooking. Once in a while, one of them felt adventurous and prepared a new dish with ingredients they knew.

So where do I get my desire to constantly try new ingredients and make new recipes? That I really don’t know… I never had a big interest in cooking or baking as a child besides licking the spoon when my mother was making dessert. The only reason I can find is my curiosity about other cultures and desire to find out more about them…

One food item we didn’t have when I was growing up was pumpkin and it’s only later in life that I had my first taste of it. It was a pumpkin pie and I didn’t like it. Is it because the person who made it didn’t do it properly? I’m not sure but I never wanted to try it again until my girlfriend Joanne from Toronto invited me over to join her and her family for Thanksgiving.

Jo is a fabulous cook and everything I’ve tasted of hers in the past was just amazing! Of course on her dessert menu besides other goodies was a pumpkin pie. I was reluctant to try a slice but after her scrumptious meal, I thought I should give it a try… I’m glad I did! It was simply beautiful with a nice smooth texture and the right amount of spices in the background. I devoured my slice like there was no tomorrow while Joanne was watching me with a grin on her face. That night, when it was time to leave, she gave me a couple slices to take home. The next morning they were gone…

My Pumpkin Pie recipe is based on hers of course. I made a few changes to put my personal touch on it but it’s still Jo’s recipe! It became David and my favorite and almost every Thanksgiving and Christmas, I bake this recipe. Very easy to make, this incredibly tasty pie should definitely be served at your next festive dinner. I’m not a “pumpkin pie connoisseur” by no means but I know when something is excellent… and this one is!
Happy Thanksgiving!

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit http://clubfoody.com/recipe/pumpkin-pie/


No comments:

Post a Comment