Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Old Fashioned Baked Beans with Bacon

Both my mother and father liked to cook. It wasn’t a rigid schedule but most of the time during the week my mother did the cooking and on weekends it was my father… although many times dad didn’t cook for weeks. Between the two of them, they’ve made many great recipes. From complicated to elegant, traditional to comfort, it was a rotation of yumminess in our family kitchen!

There’s a dish we all really liked… Baked Beans!

My father was the one who made it often. When he started on Friday after work to soak the beans in water, we knew we would be having them for dinner over the weekend and if there were any leftovers, breakfast on Sunday along with eggs and toasts. After soaking the beans, the following morning, he rinsed them and slowly cooked them for hours. The whole day had that yummy aroma floating in the air… perfect on cold Canadian days!

When I moved out on my own, either I was too lazy to make them or not ready to eat beans the whole entire week (it’s a big batch…) therefore buying them at the store was more convenient. Recently I was asking my mother if those baked beans in the brown glass jar were still available at the supermarket. Apparently not although it was a cool concept! The shape was a miniature duplicate of a traditional Bean Pot just like the one I’m using in the video but the container was a dark glass… like dark amber color. The only thing we had to do was to remove the lid, follow the baking instructions and pop them in the oven. They were quite good I have to admit. The only place I could find them though was in Québec’s supermarkets so when I moved to Ontario, I had to start making my own beans from scratch… After years of practice, I tweaked the recipe quite a lot from my parents’ traditional one and now they make mine…

This is a dish that can be served as a side with chicken breasts, Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham , burgers, and so on. It is also very delicious to enjoy in the morning with your eggs, pancakes, waffles or French toast. A way I like to eat them for dinner is alone with a fried egg and toast for dipping, topped with Québec maple syrup. I introduced this way of eating them to David and now he likes to eat them my way too – copycat… lol! This dish freezes well so you can have it later for lunch or a picnic. As great weather is approaching, this is an awesome recipe that you can serve for your backyard BBQ party…
Bon Appétit!

 

For ingredient amounts and much more, visit

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment