Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Dakgangjeong Recipe - Sweet & Spicy Crispy Korean Chicken | Club Foody

Fire in the kitchen

I don’t do too much frying at home. I find it extremely messy plus I can be quite clumsy in the kitchen. While filming this featured recipe, I started a fire on the stove top. Luckily I put it out very quickly. When there’s hot oil, everyone should be cooking with extra care and attention.
 
Although I might fry food on the stove top a couple of times a year besides using my CoolDaddy Deep Fryer (much safer kitchen tool for my clumsiness), I still have recipes that I insist on making because they are so scrumptious like Dakgangjeong – what? It’s Sweet & Spicy Crispy Korean Chicken…
 
When I was going to Ahuntsic College in Montréal, I started hanging out with this Korean girl. She was funny, smart and intriguing. I’ve always been attracted to other cultures and back in high school, I used to hang out with Mona who, if my memory is correct, was from Cambodia. I just love to learn about and discover new cultures , customs, traditions, and food…
 
Sadly I forgot my Korean friend’s name as we didn’t stay in touch that long because she moved back to Seoul for a job opportunity. Back in the 80s’, who really owned a computer at home let alone a cellular phone with a battery the size of a brick therefore it was easy to lose contact with someone… what a bummer!
 
Before she left though, she invited me over to her apartment and cooked a lovely Korean chicken dinner. It was fiery spicy as I didn’t eat any “hot” food at all back then – things have sure changed with time… lol! Besides the burning sensation in my mouth, I really enjoyed her dinner. She gave me a few gifts along with her recipe… Dakgangjeong!
 

Fire in your mouth…? Not really!

With some slight changes to this Korean chicken recipe, 35 years later I still enjoy it! Is it spicy? Not really! It has some zip to it but not as much as when I was a college student that wasn’t used to it. The flavors marry so well together; salty, sweet, and spicy… this is a match made in heaven!
 
There’s one ingredient though that brings the “heat” and it’s “gochujang” which is a hot pepper paste. If you can’t handle spiciness, reduce the amount of it and you’ll be just fine. This is one of those ingredients that are spicy at first but by the time you cook it with other foods , it has an amazing flavor.
 
These days we’re so lucky because there’s no reason not to stay in touch with friends and family. I really wish we could have half the technology of today back then because there are so many incredible human beings I met that I wish I could still be in contact with. The only link I have from her is her lovely Sweet & Spicy Crispy Korean Chicken recipe and the great memories of my time shared with her.
Bon Appétit!
 
Here are several other delicious Asian inspired recipes for you to enjoy…
– Singapore Noodles
– Quick & Easy Chicken Chop Suey
– Vietnamese Summer Rolls
– Wonton Soup
– Chinese 5 Spice Spare Ribs
– Thai Chicken Curry
and for even more chicken and poultry recipes, click on this link… Recipe Category – Poultry


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment