Saturday, September 12, 2026

Mayonnaise versus Miracle Whip - Tips & Tricks | Club Foody

 

After getting a recipe from my friend Michael, who’s Chinese, I bought my first bottle of oyster sauce. I remember thinking if it would taste like the ocean (super salty 🧂). After trying it, I was happily surprised by its umami profile along with some sweetness in the background.
 
The same “fear” happened when I bought fish sauce and opened it up. My thought was, – “Oh no, my dish will taste like dead fish 🐟!”. Although the smell is very strong, once again, I was impressed by how nicely it blended during cooking, giving a nice savory flavor.
 
What I’m trying to say is often we assume that a condiment might taste a certain way when it doesn’t. These misconceptions might stop us 🛑 from using them, which, on the other hand, can bring another dimension to our dish.
 
Let’s talk about another elephant 🐘 in the kitchen… Mayonnaise versus Miracle Whip!
As many of you might lift your noses at one of the two, you’ll realize that each brings a different aspect and flavor to recipes and, surprisingly, how each one is healthier in its own way. Let’s see their differences and similarities.

– Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip are both made with oil, eggs, and acid (vinegar or lemon juice 🍋), mayonnaise is rich and tangy with a creamy texture.
– Miracle Whip has the same main ingredients as mayo (oil, eggs, acid), but there’s also water 💦 added, plus sugar and spices like mustard, paprika, and garlic. Its texture is lighter and thinner, and the flavor is more pronounced
– Both are great as spreads or used as ingredients in recipes such as potato salad.
– When comparing the two, believe it or not, mayonnaise has more calories and fat than Miracle Whip.
 
Another point I would like to mention in this Mayonnaise versus Miracle Whip episode is their commercial profile. Many of you like to claim that mayonnaise is healthier 💚. You’re not wrong, especially when it’s made from scratch, BUT not when it comes to the store-bought versions.
 
To prolong its shelf life, mayonnaise shares similar chemical preservatives with Miracle Whip, like potassium sorbate, which prevents the growth of mold 🦠 and yeast. There are also preservatives to inhibit oils from going rancid, thickeners, and stabilizers.
 
I like them both, and depending on what I’m using them for, either one or a mix of both can add great flavor to my recipes. You can find them in Tuna Sandwich, Seven Layer Salad, Egg Hot Dog Rolls • Guédilles aux Oeufs, Curry Chicken Salad Sandwich, Tuna Stuffed Lemons, New England Lobster Rolls 🦞, and more…
 
Miracle Whip is from the United States and was created during the Great Depression due to the high price 💰 of oil and eggs. For mayonnaise, it’s not clear if its origin is French or Spanish, but who cares? We all love it!
 
I’ve never made Miracle Whip from scratch, nor do I intend to. On the other hand, I do make 👩‍🍳 mayonnaise. Freshly made, the taste is far superior to the store-bought. As I use Dijonnaise often for recipes like Caesar Salad, making homemade mayo is simply the best!
 
It’s a question of personal preference 💖 and also application, but if you haven’t tried either one, I suggest you do. Hopefully, this Mayonnaise versus Miracle Whip impartial comparison can help you understand a little more about each of them.
Bon Appétit! 🍽
 
Check out these other great kitchen tips and tricks… 😀
How to Soften Cream Cheese Quickly
How to Revive Stale Bread
Celery Root • How to Prep
Tomato Ripening Trick
Leftover Evaporated Milk Ideas
How to Roast and Peel Peppers
Remove Tarnish from Silverware in 10 minutes
How to Cook Lobster Tails
Lining a Square Pan with Parchment Paper
Crêpes • Make Them Ahead
and for more handy kitchen tips and tricks 💡, click on this link… Recipe Category • Tips & Tricks
 
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube



No comments:

Post a Comment