Saturday, September 19, 2026

Zwiebelrostbraten Recipe • Delicious German Beef! | Club Foody

Before meeting David who’s now my husband 💍, German cuisine was probably my least favorite. After going to German restaurants a few times, my verdict was that the food was “bland and lacked flavor”. I also made that comment to him when we met… he kind of agreed.
 
Although I got disappointed a few times, I didn’t give up on German food, and after his mother 👩‍🦱 introduced me to some recipes, I decided it was time for me to add my personal touch to them.
 
German desserts are incredible 😍! I’m thinking of delicious Stollen, Zwetschgenkuchen, Pflaumenkuchen, Coffee Cake, Kirschenmichel, Black Forest Cake, Pfeffernüsse, etc.
 
When it comes to savory dishes, most need a boost in the flavor department 🥫🍃, and that includes Beef Rouladen, Hasenpfeffer, Schnitzel, Sauerbraten, Flammkuchen, Kartoffelsuppe, Eisbein, and others, as well as Zwiebelrostbraten!
 
What is Zwiebelrostbraten❓, you may ask…
It’s a dish from Austrian and Swabian (southwest Germany) cuisine. Technically, it’s roast beef served with a brown gravy, topped with Crispy Fried Onion Strings, along with a side of Spätzle Noodles, mashed, or roasted potatoes 🥔. My mother-in-law loved serving it on Sundays.
 
When I have roast beef, that’s what I use otherwise, I use eye of round steaks. After seasoning them generously with salt 🧂 and pepper, I let them rest for 20 minutes – always let your meat come back to room temperature. After it’s cooked until nicely browned, I set it aside while making the gravy.
 
This is where I put my own touch by adding flavor to the gravy. Besides the beef broth, I add red wine 🍷. I also add tomato paste, some hot German mustard – the brand I use is Löwensenf which can be found in most European specialty stores -, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar… not traditional but certainly a good one to add. All combined, these ingredients give a beautiful taste to the gravy perfect for the Zwiebelrostbraten!
 
As I mentioned earlier, this dish is served with fried onions 🧅 and either spätzle noodles, mashed, or roasted potatoes. Last week, I posted my quick and easy Crispy Fried Onion Strings, and those are what I use to top the meat. I prefer serving it with my homemade Spätzle Noodles, but if you prefer, mashed or roasted potatoes are a great alternative.
 
This flavorful German recipe is just incredible! With a few added ingredients, my elevated version of Zwiebelrostbraten is absolutely delicious! If you’ve never had it before, you have to put this on your list 📝… trust me, it’s that good!
Bon Appétit!🍽
 
Here are more incredible beef recipes for you to enjoy…😀
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs
Beef Coconut Curry
Filet Mignon • How to Cook Perfectly
Hungarian Beef Goulash
Mediterranean Eggplant Casserole
Beef Stroganoff
Frankie’s Macaroni Casserole
Veal Ossobuco
Teriyaki Beef Noodles
and for even more beef recipes 🐂, click on this link… Recipe Category • Beef


For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit ➡ https://clubfoody.com/cf-recipes/zwiebelrostbraten/ 😉


Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube
 

Zwiebelrosbraten


 

No comments:

Post a Comment