There was certain produce my mother 👱♀️ never cooked with, and eggplants were one of them. Known as aubergine in French, this produce wasn’t a typical ingredient found in Québécois cuisine. With massive waves of European immigrants to “La Belle Province” in the 50s and 60s, it rapidly gained popularity.
The first time I had eggplants was when I went to a Greek restaurant and ordered Moussaka. I honestly didn’t care for it. It was bland 🥱, lacking in flavor. I gave it a couple more tries, and alas, never been satisfied with the dish. It was later in my 30s that I really acquired a taste for it after eating Baba Ghanoush!
From that point on, I cooked 👩🍳 and created many recipes using this ‘fruit’ – yes, botanically it’s a fruit, but we treat it as a vegetable. I think of Eggplant Rollatini, Mediterranean Eggplant Casserole, Eggplant Veggie Burgers, Melitzanosalata (Greek Eggplant Dip), Eggplant Beef & Mushroom Pasta Bake, etc.
Another one that is added to this delicious list is Pasta alla Norma!
Originating in Catania, Sicily, this dish was named after the famous 1831 opera 🎤 Norma by Catanian composer Vincenzo Bellini! Apparently, upon tasting the local pasta dish, playwright Nino Martoglio shouted “Chista è ’na vera Norma!” meaning “This is a true Norma!”
Besides its interesting history, this hearty recipe is bold in flavor. Although meatless, it has a meaty texture, making it very satisfying and vegetarian-friendly. This Mediterranean dish is a warm pasta bowl perfect for enjoying during fall 🍂 and winter.
I always try to save time and be efficient when cooking. While the eggplant cubes are sitting in the colander covered with kosher salt 🧂 for half an hour, I do my ‘mise en place’. After rinsing them thoroughly, I make sure they’re well-patted dry because water and oil are not good buddies in the kitchen.
The eggplant cubes 🍆 are sautéed in hot oil until brown and almost done – don’t overdo it! They’re set aside while the sauce is made. When all the ingredients are in, the mixture is simmered gently for 15 minutes while the pasta cooks.
In the video 🎥, I chose rigatoni, but there are other options. It can be ziti, paccheri, or tortiglioni. One of my girlfriends uses fusilli. Penne rigate (penne with ridges) is probably the most common noodle used for Pasta alla Norma here in North America.
When the pasta is almost done, the eggplant cubes are returned to the skillet, and the sauce is cooked for another 5 minutes, long enough to warm them up. About ¼ cup of the reserved pasta water 💦 is added to the sauce as well. It helps to create a smooth, cohesive coating that will cling to the noodles.
Traditionally, ricotta salata is the chosen cheese. I go for Parmesan cheese, and here’s the reason why. My supermarket sells it for between $12 and $14 CAD for a 200g piece, which is roughly $28 to $30 per kilogram… it’s quite pricey 💰! Of course, if you can afford it, I suggest you go for the ricotta.
The pasta is added to the skillet and stirred until well-coated. I like to sprinkle on some fresh chopped parsley, as it has vitamins, and powerful antioxidants. It’s served immediately on its own or along with a green salad or garlic bread… don’t forget a nice glass of ‘vino rosso’ 🍷!
This Pasta alla Norma is a gorgeous dish to try! It has a nice balance of savory and sweet, with a nice salty finish! Using eggplant, this Sicilian classic is a flavorful meatless recipe that is impeccably suited for fall and winter seasons. It’s a great meal your family 👨👩👧👦 will enjoy!
Bon Appétit! 🍽
Check out these other tasty pasta recipes… 😀
– Creamy Tortellini Boscaiola
– Meat Lasagna
– Baked Ziti
– Creamy Chicken Alfredo
– Italian Sausage, Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni
– Duck Ragù with Pappardelle
– Fettuccine alle Vongole – Clam Fettuccine
– Frankie’s Macaroni Casserole
– Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
– Meat Manicotti
and for even more pasta recipes 🍝, click on this link… Recipe Category • Pasta & Pizza
For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit ➡
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube


No comments:
Post a Comment