When I attended a private girls’ school for three years before going to public high school, it wasn’t around the corner. I had to take public transit to get there. Like me, all the girls had to take buses 🚌, and obviously, we were all eating our lunch there.
Generally, I had a thermos carrying either stew 🥘, pasta, or soup. I didn’t eat sandwiches often unless my father made me ham, chicken, or egg. There was also another thermos for my beverage – individual bottles of water didn’t exist back then.
For dessert, it was a fruit 🍎. On rare occasions, I brought an individually wrapped cake or pastry made by Vachon. I didn’t like having them in my lunchbox because most of the time they came out squished.
Besides fruits, or squished pastries and mini cakes, one of my favorite snacks was a mini box of Sun-Maid, California sun-dried raisins. It was convenient, healthy 💚 (not that I really cared about it back then), and simply delicious!
Knowing I loved these little guys, my mother 👱♀️ decided to surprise me by making a popular dessert from Québec: tarte à la farlouche, which is made with raisins, brown sugar, and dark molasses. I didn’t like it at all.
A couple of decades later, I was over for dinner at my friend Carole’s. She made a pie, and when I found out what it was, I declined it. I told her how much I disliked 😣 this French-Canadian dessert. She agreed with me. Puzzled, I asked her how hers differed…
It was a plain and simple raisin pie! It was very tasty! It didn’t have that heavy molasses background. I asked her for the recipe and made 👩🍳 it a few months later. Mine was different from hers. I enhanced that dessert, which I called Rum Raisin Pie!
This lovely dessert is so easy to make. The filling takes 5 minutes ⏳, then has to cool off before being poured into a pie crust. It’s baked until golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes… done!
The chosen raisin for this dessert is undeniably Thompson for its rich and caramelized sweetness. Its chewy texture holds up well during cooking 🔥 and baking. Sultanas are also another option for a plumper and juicier texture.
What makes this Rum Raisin Pie stand out from regular ones is clearly the alcohol 🥃 added to the filling. It creates a complex flavor profile by adding notes of oak and caramel while cutting through the heavy sugar to balance the overall taste.
I use dark rum, which adds that gorgeous nuance of warmth to the pie 🥧. It has notes of molasses, with a more pronounced flavor than white rum. The one I use is my husband’s favorite brand: Goslings Black Seal Rum.
If you’re pregnant 🤰, have kids, or simply want to avoid alcohol, you can omit it or substitute it with rum extract or even vanilla extract. In that case, add only 1 teaspoon of it. Just keep in mind that there’s still alcohol in the extract.
Here are some facts about cooking or baking with alcohol… 😉
– Besides enhancing flavor, a portion of alcohol evaporates during cooking and baking, leaving a trace behind as well as a distinct taste notes of the liquor.
– When using some to flambé, 75% to 80% remains.
– According to data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, baked goods like pies cooked for about 25 minutes still retain roughly 40% of the original alcohol.
– This pie bakes anywhere from 35 to 40 minutes ⏰ therefore, the alcohol content remaining is approximately 30% to 35%
– Baking or simmering for 2.5 hours will still leave 5% of the alcohol content behind.
After the filling is thick and removed from the heat, it’s important to let it cool off for a good 20 minutes before pouring it into the pie crust. This prevents the hot filling from melting the raw butter 🧈 or shortening in the unbaked bottom crust, keeping the pastry flaky rather than soggy.
Making 🔪 slits in a pie crust is necessary! It allows the steam to escape during baking, preventing the pie from bursting open or boiling over. It also avoids creating a massive air pocket, known as a pie gap, between the filling and the top crust.
Brushing on an egg 🥚 wash gives a beautiful glossy shine and a rich golden-brown color. To add that crunchy texture, you can sprinkle on some granulated sugar on top. I don’t because I think there’s enough sugar already in the filling.
The baking time is roughly between 35 and 40 minutes. This pie is served cold or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I enjoy mine simply with a tall glass of milk 🥛.
This fabulous Rum Raisin Pie is perfect to enjoy this season. Although pumpkin 🎃, apple, or pecan pie is traditionally served for Thanksgiving, it doesn’t stop you from adding it to your menu…
Bon Appétit! 🍽
Here are more scrumptious dessert recipes for you to try… 😀
– Pumpkin Cheesecake with Biscoff Crust
– Pavlova
– Chocolate Beet Cake
– Orange Flan
– Red Velvet Cake
– Eggnog Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce
– Black Forest Cake
– Poires Belle Hélène
– Pirate Peanut Butter Cookies Copycat
– Grand-Pères (Maple Syrup Dumplings)
and for even more dessert recipes 🍩🍰, click on this link… Recipe Category • Dessert
For ingredient amounts, directions, and much more, visit ➡
Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel 📽 by clicking on this link… Club Foody YouTube


No comments:
Post a Comment